porchbloggeremail-smallemailfacebookgoogle-plushouzzpinteresttwitterwordpressyelpyoutube
Alert the Squad!

Zika Virus In Georgia

mosquito spray Gwinnett

There’s been a lot of attention in the news lately about Zika Virus. Named after the forest in Uganda where it was first discovered, it’s not new. It was first detected in 1947. Outbreaks of the Zika virus were first reported in Africa, Souteast Asia and the Pacific Islands. As world travel increases, the potential for the virus spreading increases as well.

What Exactly Is Zika Virus?

While it can be transmitted through sexual contact (if the man is exhibiting active symptoms), the Zika virus is mainly transmitted through mosquito bites. The Zika virus produces no symptoms in about 75% of people infected. The remaining 25%, however, can develop a rash, fever, red eyes, joint pain and headaches. These symptoms develop anywhere from 2 to 10 days after being infected, and people rarely go to the hospital or even the doctor. Fatalities are rare. This is why the virus has largely gone unnoticed for so long.

But, the Zika virus has been linked to two more serious conditions- Guillain-Barré syndrome and microcephaly. Guillain-Barre is a syndrome where your immune system begins to attack parts of the nervous system. This leads to feelings of weakness and tingling sensations in the arms and legs. The syndrome can progress to impair your muscles almost completely and can lead to a medical emergency. The CDC is still investigating the link between the Zika virus and Guillain-Barré syndrome.

The second condition more directly linked to the Zika virus is birth defects. When an infected mosquito bites a pregnant woman, it can lead to a condition in the fetus known as microcephaly. Microcephaly is a birth defect where the baby’s head is malformed and the brain growth is severely impacted. This condition can also lead to seizures, developmental issues, problems with hearing and vision and other problems.

Zika Virus In The United States

As of May 4th, there have been 472 identified cases of Zika Virus in the U.S. with 44 pregnant women affected. Thus far, there have been 13 cases here in Georgia. The CDC has expressed concern about the possibility of more cases occurring.

Protection From The Zika Virus

The mosquitoes that carry this virus can breed practically anywhere there is a tiny amount of water. The number one defense against Zika virus is to prevent mosquitoes from biting. This means developing a plan for effective mosquito control both inside and outside the home. This is where the Mosquito Squad can help. It’s what we do (it’s in our name!).

We provide the latest technology in mosquito control for your outdoor living areas. In fact, our mosquito misting systems can be installed in your yard and give you complete control of when you spray. Our mosquito spray not only does in these disease carriers, but it also kills 95% of ticks, fleas and other pests. We even have a more permanent solution with our mosquito spray misting system. Win the fight against unwanted critters. Let The Mosquito Squad help you take your backyard back.

The Mosquito Squad offers an array of pest control options in the fight against the bite. We work with business and homeowners around Lawerenceville, Duluth, Suwanee, Buford, Cumming, Johns Creek and other cities around Atlanta. Call us to talk about what we can do to help you enjoy the great outdoors without some of the unwanted pests.

Click here to learn more about mosquito spray in Cumming

Alert the Squad!

Don't let pesky mosquitoes ruin your outdoor fun. Mosquito Squad is ready to serve you! Contact us today by filling out the brief form below and we’ll be in touch soon.

×